View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 06:28 AM   #42
Shaker1
Living The Dream

Re: Official Computer Questions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightTime View Post
OffTopic

What is "Mustang Dual Weilder" above your avatar?

OnTopic

I tried to install a linksys wireless router to my laptop and screwed it up. Now my internal modem icon in the tray shows "local area connection 9, a network cable is unplugged". I tried 9 times to get the setup, got it once but then screwed something up, and took the router back. Everytime I retried the setup the connection number 2,3,4,5, etc rolled, I got the error even with the cable plugged in. I didn't try replacing the cable because it worked once.
I connect to the internet through my USB port, couldn't get the other port (RJ connector) to work (another problem?).
You can just go to network connections (in control panel) and right click to delete any LAN icons you are not using/needing. Or you can right click and select "rename" and call it anything you want. It won't affect functionality.

If all you want to do is get it out of your system tray (the annoying "network cable unplugged" icon), then simply right click it and select "disable". Should you plug in an ethernet cable later you can simply right click and enable it again.

FWIW, you should not need to add an additional network connection (LAN icon) to put a router between your computer and cable modem/DSL modem. Unless you have a hardware defect on your ethernet port, I suspect you have either got your network connection properties set wrong or the router options are the problem. First, get the ethernet jack to work with just the cable modem, then work out the router settings. Also, check your ethernet connection Properties (you guessed it, right click, select properties and click configure) and make sure the device is enabled and your drivers are up to date. If in doubt, go to the manufacturers web site and download and install the latest enet drivers for your system.
Shaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote