View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 07:37 PM   #9
SSGCracker

Re: Clutch/Transmission rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeracing View Post
Maybe i missed it but i didnt see that you had converted it to a hydraulic clutch. The cable clutch quadrant can also be bad if its a cable. Or bad master slave or line along with the tob
Nah you didn't miss it. I was running down possibilities of what i was finding in searches of symptoms before i actually decided to look into the actual setup of the transmission so that's my bad.

As of today I think I'm going to have to park it until I can fix it after the latest symptoms. I didn't want to keep driving it with it acting up and before i had the time to start messing with it and money to order parts but it's the only car I have and not much of an option to do anything else. I'm questioning now whether my thoughts of clutch drag, that came on from whatever bearing went bad initially that was causing it to rattle with the pedal down and then caused the reverse issue, is the case now or not. I was having to push the clutch in then let the engine slow before shift up because there was a very slight grind (at least that's what i think it was cause it's not really loud like you normally hear from grinding gear) if i shifted from one gear to another in a normal fashion. That again made me think clutch drag and that i was grinding the synchros since the transmission would still be somewhat spinning with a dragging clutch. Today however there were a number of instances that even after shifting in neutral and the engine slowed down a grind would start. Again not a real loud one but it did it in neutral almost like it was still slightly in gear. If I shook the shifter side to side it got it to go away. But that's enough for me to stop driving it now.

Tried to test for clutch drag but i live in an area where i'd probably have a cop up my *** in a few minutes revving the car up. I did to an extent but not all the way to the rev limit. Only got it to 5000 before i could see people down the way turning to look and pull out their phones. Car didn't move however. It did smell like the clutch was burning though.

As for the quadrant and not disengaging...I haven't gotten up under it or on the floor to look up into **** to see what exactly was done by the previous owner so on that issue I really don't know. I'm ordering a new clutch kit in a few days and going to get the after market cable, quadrant, etc...since I know a bearing went bad and needs replacing so might as well do the rest. I am debating on the need to get the ford performance pilot and throw out bearings over what comes with the kit. Any thoughts on that? Sorry for the long lengthy posts.
SSGCracker is offline   Reply With Quote