Thread: D1SC build
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2018, 10:51 PM   #43
FenixFallen
Newb

Re: D1SC build

I took some measurements again tonight, except with no solid lifters, and everything is all torqued to spec. I think I figured out where the variances were coming from; this time I was getting very different readings, but consistently. After scratching my head for a bit I realized the chain tension was probably not consistent throughout my readings. I was rolling the crank forward and backward to get the .050" reading on the degree wheel before and after max lift on the valves in cylinders 1 and 6 as suggested in the Comp instructions. However, I wasn't paying attention to the primary chain tension. I was rolling back a bit past .050" so that I would remove the chain slop before I got back to it, but the primary tensioners take a lot of forward movement to get fully tensioned apparently. I think the only way to make sure they stay tensioned is to keep moving the crank forward. I'm going to order a 6" extension for the dial indicator, and do this thing right.

Somewhat related question: Do blower cams normally have overlap, or no? I was curious, and to my surprise the exhaust valves come to a close exactly the same time the intake valves start opening. it's my understanding that in NA engines there is a bit of overlap to help draw intake gases into the chamber with the venturi effect. Does a blower engine not need this since the intake will be pressurized?

I'm definitely glad I'm doing this myself. I'm learning quite a bit about this engine and how these things work. Also, when I removed the valve covers and timing cover, I discovered they had been painted on the inside. really glad I chose to get them repainted, my guy is gonna get them nice and clean on the inside so there won't be any paint flaking into the valve train.
-Stock longblock, stock transmission, Procharger D1SC 4.15" pulley, Accufab 60mm TB, P/P intake manifold, full MAC exhaust, return style fuel system, Maximum Motorsports/Steeda suspension, Torsen T2R 31 spline diff

Red 2007 Focus ST, daily driver, 236hp/234tq @10psi
-FSWerks gt2871r kit, Cosworth intake manifold, FSWerks Stealth exhaust, FRPP lowering springs

Last edited by FenixFallen; 06-27-2018 at 11:07 PM.
FenixFallen is offline   Reply With Quote