View Single Post
Old 03-17-2021, 02:07 AM   #35
Rusty67

Re: 03 Mach 1 open heart surgery

Progress has been slow the last couple of weekends. I've had some trouble getting the right tool to set the rear main seal. The old pushrod V8s were so easy, pull the old one out and press the new one in, DONE! These modulars have a specific depth you have to press the rear main seal in to and then some metal thing called an oil slinger in front of it (or behind depending on how you look at it). I had ordered the tool to set the seal but it turned out to be the wrong one. I called OTC and got the correct part number. The right tool might get here by Friday but I'm not holding my breath.

This last weekend I ran a tap into the exhaust stud holes and installed the new exhaust stud kit I ordered from LMR. I also installed the new pilot bearing. I didn't end up using the bread trick. I saw how big the void was behind the bearing in the crank and chickened out. Just borrowed a pilot bearing puller from the local AutoZone.

I also replaced the bump stops on my front struts. They looked really bad so I ordered a new pair from Maximum. Honestly, they look totally shot on the outside but on the inside they looked brand new. I'm wondering if they were shot or not but they weren't too expensive so I'm not worry about it too much. New ones are in.
Attached Thumbnails
strut bumb stops.jpg  
Rusty67 is offline   Reply With Quote