Thread: Well I did it.
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 12:02 AM   #33
jbrad88
Original Owner

Re: Well I did it.

I thought I would re-visit now that I have 1000 miles on the car with the good and the could-be-better...

Start with the good...

Power. As expected. The power in this thing does not disappoint. I know I am late to the Coyote-party, but wow...This thing flat gets it...The 3.73 gears fits the car well.

Handling. Not perfect. but solid. Cannot find specs on the spring rates, but they have to be progressive rate. For a big car...it handles as expected.
Steering feel is adjustable, and I run it in sport most of the time.

Brakes...I love Ford Brakes. The pedal is right now...this thing stops...
I remember going from my fox to the Mach and how blown away I was about how well the Mach stopped. This is not the same leap in performance because the Mach's brakes are really good and match the car well. But, for as big as this car is I am impressed.

Interior. Not perfect, but again. much higher quality. I have the base car so the interior is simple. The seats are comfortable and the cloth is really good.
I like the sunglass-comparment left of the steering wheel. The sync system works well for the base system.

Shifter/clutch. Not bad on either. First few power shifts have been effortless and I have found the timing easy to master so far. For a stock shifter its not bad. I am not rushing to spend the 500$ on a mgw..YET...

Now the other...

Build quality is ok. rear bumper does not line up on these cars as well as it should to the quarters. I have seen the issue on most s550's I have looked at...its not a big issue, but its there. Hood sits a little high at the fenders. I have attempted to install the MRT hood strut kit and it causes a gap at the right fender that is notable. Have to play with the hinge, or bumpers to see if it is all at the hinge or even at the hood latch...

Handling. A little soft under normal driving. The Mach is much more connected to the road. Granted I have rebuilt the Mach's suspension with some good parts. I suspect the GT when pushed will respond as advertised.

Lack of a spare tire....we have covered that one already...

The rear deck lid exterior trim scratches if you look at it...

Lots of brake dust.

Overall, Very pleased. It is an easy car to drive. It does not tug on you at all. I can drive it like a little old lady and it is just fine putzing around...
Took the kids to College station for lunch a few weekends ago and managed 26mpg with the 4 of us in the car, and the full size spare I purchased in the trunk...

Is it a better car than the Mach? As any car would be 16 years later, yes. Do I like it more than the Mach? No...I am happily splitting time with both, and other than the Mach starting to act like a jealous girlfriend lately (horrid noise coming out from what appears to be thowout-bearing now) I still get into the old girl and enjoy every mile...

It is as good a car today as the Mach was in 2003.

03 Torch Red Mach 1
21 FJG Mach 1

Stainless Steel Systems Adrenaline Series
BBK long tube headers catted x pipe
18x9 18x10- Solid Gloss Black FR5's
Nitto 555 g2 275/35r18's 285/35r18
MGW Shifter With Mach1 Shift Knob
4.10's & 31 spline Mosers and 31 Spline Posi
Steeda Sport Springs Tokiko Illuminas
J@M weight Jacker LCA's
J@M Rear UCA's
J@M Braided steel brake lines