View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
bristol16

Re: Octane booster for 87-89 pump gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffstang View Post
My small town has six gas stations, three of which had 91 octane premium. Over the years, one by one, those three have been sold to other companies that have decided that they didn't need to offer it anymore.
My options are driving 18 miles to the nearest town that has premium, or add octane booster to bring the rating up a little. Does anyone have experience adding octane booster to gas with a lower rating? Is it a realistic alternative?
Do our cars require premium fuel?

I had a full service station (no choice at the time) fill my modded/tuned Evo with 87 one day. I dumped a bottle of octane booster in it (I believe it was STP brand) and never had a problem. I didn't drive it as hard as I normally did for that tank, but I definitely got on it hard a few times and never noticed any adverse effects like detonation so it was obviously working.

I wouldn't want to do it as a regular fill up on a boosted car, but it works in an emergency if you get the wrong fuel. Maybe it's fine to do every fill up, just seems weird to me. Cars now that "recommend" premium are programmed to run just fine on 87, cars back then that were designed to run on premium don't do as well on regular. Vehicles recommending premium are becoming more and more popular, surprised to see not a single gas station out of 6 carrying it. Also, what "small" town has 6 gas stations lol!

Last edited by bristol16; 11-11-2019 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Changes
bristol16 is offline   Reply With Quote