View Single Post
Old 02-06-2006, 09:53 AM   #46
machths
Mach 1 Member

Re: Important Information About Mobile 1 Synthetic Motor Oil For Mach 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-MACH
What's the problem with Fram filters? Just curious, since I've used them on my 90 Probe GT turbo and never had a problem.
Less pleats means less area for trapping debris, which can create greater flow restrictions. Plus, FRAM is notorious for not using an anti-drain back design which means when you shut the vehicle off, the "dirty" unfiltered oil in the filter can drain back down into the oil pan, thus allowing "contaminated" oil to circulate in your engine. Somewhere on this website there is a thread that has a link to an "independent" study that someone did that breaks down several brands and models of oil filters and gives you the gouge on all of them. For example, the only difference between the Purolator Pure One filter and the standard Motorcraft filter is the price. They are the exact same filter, only one costs half as much. This study did say that FRAM makes one good filter, and I can't remember if it's the Double Guard, or Tough Guard, but one of those two were recommended. Interesting reading if you can find it. I used to use FRAM too, and I never had a problem with them, but the majority of the people that I've asked that are in the industry, whether it's auto repair, or parts sales, or racing, all seem to agree that FRAM is junk. Since this is my first "performance" car, I'm not taking any chances.

1996 Laser Red Cobra
machths is offline   Reply With Quote