View Single Post
Old 06-24-2004, 04:54 PM   #79
TheWaterSkier

Quote:
Originally posted by Mach1Canuck
Tried looking around to find that info, mind posting a link?
I work on diesels primarily so thats where my knowledge comes from.

Assuming the 150rpm starter speed is correct. To clarify this for the guys that had the question....Starter brings engine up to 150rpm, *then* the engine ignition takes over and brings the engine up to 1800rpm or thereabouts for the same reason I posted above... That sound about right?

Tribalman, I used the passenger side because it seemed to make no whistling when I put the small hole over there. And you could possibly make both holes the same size, but then you might have issues with getting the *correct* size, and tweaking it. Let us know if you manage to make a better plate, or something that works better than current.
Yes, that sounds like what happens. There is not much public information that I could find, but I did find this . Scroll down the page to the section "A Modern Starter Motor."

I called a mechanic who works on my car and he said 150 sounds about right, but didn't know the exact speed of crank rotation. The starter motor itself runs much higher (around 3 to 4 thousand rpms), but is geared down to the bendex and then of course the whole thing is geared down due to the size of the flywheel.

Traded on another vehicle. The Mach was a great car with very few issues in the 93,000 miles I put on it. I'll miss it...

'04 DSG 5 Spd. IUP
Tri-Ax purchased day before Mach, installed day of purchase. MGW Adjustable Shifter Arm.
Borla Stainless Steel "Stinger" Cat-back. Fiore firewall adjuster/Steeda clutch quadrant.
TheWaterSkier is offline   Reply With Quote