View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #80
TKat13
Mach-T

Re: TKat13's Mach1 Build Log

I have stumbled onto 2 unexpected issues when assembling the motor.

1. knock sensors - the new motor has larger threaded knock sensor bosses. It is an M12-1.5; while the older motor uses a much smaller threaded boss, I do not know the thread yet but will soon find out. A few solutions:
  • Buy new knock sensors, but for some reason the old style is very expensive, almost $100.00 each. I have not even check if the wiring harness will work, I do not think so as the wires may be to short anyway. -wow
  • Find a threaded insert that puts will thread into the old hole and have internal threads (much smaller) and use the original bolts. Only issue here is I have not been able to find an M12-1.5 external thread, only M12-1.75.
  • Find a stud that has an M12-1.5 on one side and smaller on the other and use a nut to hold the sensor on. So far, no luck.

Solved, see post below.

2. The next issue is the coolant line from the back of the water pump to the back of the driver's head, the connection on the factory Mach block has two o-rings, and the tube just slides on. The new motor (using an older block) appears to expect a heater hose. The easy solution would be to cut the line and put a heater hose between the two. Fine, but since this is under the intake, is there a specially rated heater hose for this connection? Or will just the normal heater hose work? Parts suppliers are not very helpful with non-oem applications.

(solved) cut tube, put heater hose in-between, about 3 inches worth. Easy enough.
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP

Last edited by TKat13; 12-04-2013 at 09:07 PM. Reason: How it was solved - maybe helpful to others later.
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote