View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #10
87handmedown
Captain Ziptie

Re: Operation Rescue, 2004 Mach 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by machdude View Post
Nice! Looks like fun, how did the Mach engine lock up? Bent rod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, here's the story as it was told to me from the guy I purchased it from. The guy he purchased it from said he "rebuilt" the motor. Then he ran out of time and money and sold it in pieces to the guy that I purchased it from. That guy at least put everything together, started the car, and tried to test drive it. During the initial test drive, he said the check engine light was on, and it was really down on power. While attempting to turn the car around and nurse it back home after realizing the issue wasn't getting better, the car finally died. When he got it towed back to the house, he was unable to get it to rotate, with either the starter or with a breaker bar on the crank bolt. She was locked tight! After a few weeks of messing with it, his wife was on his case and he needed the money to finish his fox, so that's when I bought it.

I think I found my answer yesterday. I dropped the pan off the Mach 1 engine and there were quite a few pieces, some large, from the old timing chain tensioners in the pan. There is also quite a bit of metal shavings down there in the bottom of the pan as well. So what I can deduce is that the first guy probably revved the piss out of it, broke the timing guides/tensioners, and then did a shitty job rebuilding the rotating assembly. Second guy doesn't check anything, just puts it all together, and then one or two of the bearings seizes on the crank due to foreign material and/or insufficient lubrication.

I can't see any indications on either the valves, or the pistons where they would have made contact with each other, so I think the heads are fine. I'll get the oil pan cleaned up today and then installed tonight. I put the Mach 1 pickup tube on last night, but once I saw the inside of the oil pan I thought it best to clean everything out well so that there's no chance of any of that crap getting into the Mark VIII engine.
Michael Delaney: Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
87handmedown is offline   Reply With Quote