View Single Post
Old 04-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #15
blownslt

Re: Scrapping metal noise under 03 Mach 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCWeatherMan View Post
Resurrecting this thread because I have noticed an issue since I did my clutch swap. Its a rotational metal rattle/scraping sound. Only occurs on cold start, if I start it within 20 minutes or so of shutting off I get nothing. Any longer than that, I hear it. It only lasts for a second or two right after cranking the engine then goes away and dont hear anything at all while driving.

At first I thought I jacked something up with the clutch install because I did it myself and before that my mechanic skills were limited to oil changes and brake pad/rotor swaps.

But since the car drives perfect aside for this one to two second sound at start up I am leaning to either it being a starter issue (been a lot on bendix issues). Either that or maybe a bad cat (still have stock mid pipe on there).

Anyways, I caught a video of it this morning, the vid itself if pretty bad, but its more the sound, you should be able to hear it right after I crank it.

Would really like to hear what your all's thoughts are on it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vz2pmpetmr...408_071555.mp4

The starter itself was purchased brand new during the clutch swap. But it is not an OEM Motorcraft part, bought it from OReillys but has a lifetime warranty.

Thanks in advance.

Wow! Mine does the same exact thing. It's been doing it for a while. I'm not the original owner and the mods were done on my car before I got it. With that said I have no cats. I'm not sure if the clutch is stock. I'm sure it is with 29k miles. I was about to start checking idler pulley, but it almost sounds internal. I mostly hear it on cold start ups, especially if the car has been sitting a few days. I do not drive the car much, so it tends to sit. I have made it a point to crank it every day this week and today the noise was barely noticeable. Car runs to good to be "broken", so I'm baffled what it could be. I think it has done this ever since I have owned it. No internal motor mods that I know of. But I'm glad to hear I'm not alone!!!
blownslt is offline   Reply With Quote