Thread: Opinions
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2018, 06:23 PM   #1
jbrad88
Original Owner

Opinions

So, my random parts generator (that part of the brain that constantly is search for new stuff to do to your car) has been focusing on headers lately.

I have wanted to do long tubes on the car for a number of years, especially after a somewhat fateful ride in Jester's car years back. He has 4.30's, kooks 1 3/4 long tubes with cats, and a good tune. that combo went 12.02 @ 112mph with little drama...

I need convincing...

Price vs Quality.

Normally a no-brainer...

Considerations.
1.) car is a weekend driver. (and anytime i can get into it)
2.) not a track warrior and won't be for the foreseeable future
3.) incline into my garage almost scrapes now
4.) Ceramic Coating is a must. fried too many clutch cables with my uncoated long-tubes in my old fox...became a yearly maintenance item on the car.
5.) want to run 1 5/8 primaries, because frankly I don't believe a stock or near stock engine needs 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 primary tubes.
6.) Have to have Cats.

So, looking into the following

Lethal Performance has the Mac 1 5/8 ceramic coated long tubes with a catted X-pipe for just under 1000.00 shipped.

I Priced 1 5/8 Kooks with ceramic coating and a catted x pipe for @ 1650.00 from a place called Maryland Speed.

LMR has the American Racing 1 3/4 UNCOATED long tubes with cats for @ 1650.00, but I have to pay tax on those since they are in Texas also.

I have read that Mac's tuck up better than any of the others (including BBK)

Kooks seem to hang lower

ARH seem to be somewhere between the two.

So, from a cost vs. quality issue, i know the ARH and Kooks are the true stainless steel, where Mac uses a mild steel tubing.

The price difference between the Mac's and everything else would go towards the tune, and some other things, like replacing the motor mounts, gaskets, etc..

I will be doing the installation with a friend of mine (misery loves company)

Anyway. Since some of us have been around a while, just thought i would get some first hand thoughts and experiences...Price, vs Quality, vs fit to the car, etc...

appreciate the feedback. sorry so long...

03 Torch Red Mach 1
21 FJG Mach 1

Stainless Steel Systems Adrenaline Series
BBK long tube headers catted x pipe
18x9 18x10- Solid Gloss Black FR5's
Nitto 555 g2 275/35r18's 285/35r18
MGW Shifter With Mach1 Shift Knob
4.10's & 31 spline Mosers and 31 Spline Posi
Steeda Sport Springs Tokiko Illuminas
J@M weight Jacker LCA's
J@M Rear UCA's
J@M Braided steel brake lines