View Single Post
Old 09-28-2003, 08:56 PM   #6
Bill Hamilton
Mustang owner since 1970

Re: Raising the Shaker - Step by Step

What is the max safe amount to raise the shaker? I used a bunch of small washers and raised it about 3/8 to 1/2 an inch. It also seemed to help the air intake sound as I got a "better" induction sound. It's probably just my imagination but I though it was pulling better in the 6,000 and up rpm range.

Anyway a few days later, I notice a place on the left drivers side near the front of the hood where the paint had flaked off. It's in the area that the rubber hood stops on the radiator support brace are mounted. I doubt there is any correlation between the two, but tomorrow I’m dropping it off at the dealers to be fixed so I removed the washers just in case raising the shaker had placed additional strain on the hood there. Like I said, I doubt it, but better safe than sorry with warrantee work.

Well after lowering the shaker, my “good sound” and little extra “oomph” at 6,000 rpms is gone. Call me crazy, but there might be something to this other than looks.
My 1970 Mach

2003 Ford Mustang Mach I---Black w/5-speed --- gone but not forgotten
2011 Shelby GT-500 --- Ingot Silver Metallic and 6-speed (Sold and Now Terrorizing the residents of New Zealand)

1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1---White w/351C-4v Shaker Hood scoop and T-5 tranny
2014 Shelby GT-500 --- White/red stripes and 6-speed
2019 Mustang Convertible Premium Package w/automatic