View Single Post
Old 06-02-2016, 09:26 AM   #11
Bruisbe

Re: First AutoCross Race in the Mach 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Shadow Grey View Post
Thanks , Ill have to check on that ! I talked to a friend at work about this post and he has been in a few in this area. He also told me I wont be very competitive with the type of cars ill be facing but who cares , looks like a blast !!
If you go there expecting to compete, then you throw fun out the window.

By that I mean, sure I wanted to do good and sure I wanted to compete, however I also wanted to have fun. In the specific class that I got put in, I feel that I did well for my first time and learned a ton about how my car handles, that to me was worth way more than winning a plaque.

Things I learned:
- You can compete with a Z06 - Heres why. A Z06 is pushing what 550+ HP, who cares the fastest you will ever get on a course will be around 55-60Mph.
- Its more about driver skill and how well they know their car
- For the specific course that I ran, I was able to ride 2nd gear the entire time, this allowed me to focus on navigating the course and not shifting
- You NEVER have to floor the gas. Slow is faster because if you floor it and lose traction, you lose time.
- A 150 HP car has every bit of a chance to win as a Z06 because the 150HP car just needs to get around the turns and can often do so without sliding around.

If you end up finding several events that you are able to attend, then I recommend getting a SCCA membership because most, if not all events give discounts to SCCA members, therefore it will pay for itself overtime.

Another thing that is required is a SCCA approved helmet. Most events have ones there that you can borrow for your race, however not guarenteed.

But yea...go out there...pay your money...see some awesome cars upclose...leave some rubber on the track...ride along with a more experienced driver for that OHHHH S**T moment...pick the brain of someone that has been doing it for awhile and have fun...I must say...I am addicted after just one event...lol
Bruisbe is offline   Reply With Quote