View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 07:57 AM   #11
gvervoren
Garry Vervoren

Re: How to make your own Trunk lid mat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j21moss View Post
That is a great idea. One of our Club members did that has well with his 95 GT. Did great for awhile and then the velcro started to come loose in spots and then while closing the decklid it would come loose and then trying to open decklid, it would be awkward and if not paying attention, it might come down, hoping it lands inside trunk floor or it might hit the quarter troughs and tear weatherstrip. All this due to the weight of the wood.

Then he change it to some thin Plexiglass and did the same setup on materials and it is lighter and worked better and hasn't came down yet.

I agree with your concept since I did not want to drill holes in my decklid but i went with the Grand Design Mat. If I would have known he went the lightweight Plexiglass, I would have done that instead, but already too late for me.

Really hope it works out on the wood setup.
Do you know how thick of a piece of wood he used? I only used 1/4" thick and is pretty light. It depends on what type of Velcro he used too. If you use the regular cheap velcro, it probably won't work. If you use the Extreme Velcro, it shouldn't come loose. I let the Velcro sit on my trunk for a day and tried pulling on it and it wasn't coming off. You have to staple the Velcro to the wood on the backside of the mat also. I'm just guessing here but I bet the Velcro was pulling off the back of the mat and not the trunk lid itself. I edited one of post above and showed what Velcro I used. It's been on my trunk a few weeks now and I went down some pretty bumpy roads (not fun in the mach as you probably already know. LOL) and there I no sign of it coming loose yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach18604 View Post
Great Job man! was the template part hard to do???
Thanks, it wasn't too hard to make. I just started with full pieces of paper taped to the inside of the trunk lid and then kept adding paper working my way to the outside of the trunk. Then I just used smaller piece to make the outside border. I made mine with all paper first and then added the cardboard afterward to make it more sturdy.

2004 Dark Shadow Grey ORIGINAL OWNER!!!!

I USED TO THINK BEING LAZY WAS BAD FOR ME SO I GAVE UP THINKING.

HOOFBEATS ARE LOUDER THAN HEARTBEATS

5 Speed, IUP, Tinted windows, 3rd brake light decal, Sequential Tail Lights, Smoked Tail Lights, Black Stainless Steel Bumper Inserts, Anthracite 18" staggard FR500
Build Date 10/08/2003
#567 of a build of 7182

Last edited by gvervoren; 05-24-2014 at 08:16 AM.
gvervoren is offline   Reply With Quote