View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #135
Ben99GT
4V GT

Re: Under Drive Pulleys..and the problems they cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1 View Post
Any balancer that comes apart has the chance to ruin the engine . Like Hyland said ..any new one installed wrong will fail too.
Sean Hyland is no fan of small diameter underdrive dampers either.

From his book, "There also seems to be increased instances of oil-pump failure when some brands of underdrive pulley kits are used. I believe this is due to inadequate damping with the reduced-diameter harmonic balancer provided. Steeda and ASP both make pulley sets that include a built-in harmonic balancer." (p. 22, How to Build Max Performance 4.6-liter Ford Engines)

He goes on to say, "The net of all this information is to use the '96-'01 Cobra balancer (F6ZZ-6312-AB) on all manual transmission, forged crank applications, and the newer '99-'03 GT balancer on the cast-crank, manual transmission applications. The '03 Mach 1 automatic balancer would be the best choice on a cast-crank, automatic-tranny application." (p.23)

So basically every major Modular engine builder agrees, small diameter underdrive harmonic dampers increase the likelihood of broken oil pumps gears in Modulars. Since these guys are the ones who personlly see hundreds and even thousands of these engines, they can see commonalities with certain failures.

I'll take their word...

Quote:
I agree that ATI is good but Steeda and ASP were given out in the post i provided by Sean Hyland .
Read the quote carefully, they are two examples of the small-diameter balancers he was just saying increased the likelihood of an oil pump failure. He wasn't giving Steeda and ASP the OK, rather exactly the opposite.
Ben99GT is offline   Reply With Quote