View Single Post
Old 05-09-2005, 03:00 PM   #22
TheWaterSkier

Re: FYI on exhaust systems

There is a lot of good information in this thread. I would add one more thing for those considering the off/road mid-pipe option.

Most probably already know this at least in the back of their minds.

Check on your State's penalties for removing the Cats. It can be mild or extreme depending on the state. The Federal regulations are for all states and impose a $1500.00 fine on the installer (either the shop who installed the off/road mid-pipe or you if you did it.

In Florida, there is a $500.00 fine for running on the street with on off/road mid-pipe.

There is at least one state where manditory impound of the vehicle and possible auction of the vehicle is possible.

For the couple of HP difference, I'll go with Cats on a Mid-Pipe change. Keep in mind, that the law actually reads "Removing of a functioning catalytic converter is not permitted." So even replacing the stock cats with a catted after market pipe is technically illegal.

If you're not stopped and no one looks, then it obviously doesn't matter what you have. However, if I'm stopped and they decide to look, I'm at least going to have cats....

A lot of people run the off road mid-pipes on this forum and freely recommend them to others. I have no problem with that, but thought you might want to consider that a louder exhaust means a higher probability of being stopped and "checked out." At least one member of this forum was stopped for "too loud," and when they found no cats, fined him and forced him to return the vehicle to stock condition and offer proof back to the court.

End of my 2 cents....

Traded on another vehicle. The Mach was a great car with very few issues in the 93,000 miles I put on it. I'll miss it...

'04 DSG 5 Spd. IUP
Tri-Ax purchased day before Mach, installed day of purchase. MGW Adjustable Shifter Arm.
Borla Stainless Steel "Stinger" Cat-back. Fiore firewall adjuster/Steeda clutch quadrant.
TheWaterSkier is offline   Reply With Quote