View Single Post
Old 03-29-2018, 07:52 PM   #6
SSGCracker

Re: Clutch/Transmission rattle

Thanks guys for the replies and thoughts. New progressing issues now with it. Last week the rattle disappeared after steadily getting worse. It was replaced by a minor squeak/moan (both of which aren't good descriptors as the sound lies somewhere in between). Sound was primarily as I made the transition releasing the clutch and giving it gas. Then on the way to work Monday morning there were a couple instances i was locked out of a gear, i think primarily 2nd and 3rd, a couple times. It took a few seconds of holding in the clutch and letting it throttle down and a few attempts before it would slide in gear. Then the kicker Monday evening i go to throw it in reverse and leave work and ****ing big time grind. Repeatedly!!! I got it to go one time throwing it into reverse kind of harshly and it grinding then locking in. It continued to do so every time I tried reverse. I had to start shutting the car off then putting it in reverse then starting back up. At the end of the night I tried a couple suggestions of pumping the clutch a few times then trying reverse and it did go into reverse albeit it a little roughly, but without any grinding. I also tried the 1st to reverse method and that seemed to work fine. Then the rest of the week not one bit of trouble out of it. Until tonight then grinding into reverse again. Tried the pump method and still grinding trying to get it in. I went 1st to reverse and that got me into reverse albeit a little clunky again. I've intermittently had reverse grind since I bought it 2 years ago but I understand that's just the deal with no synchro for reverse. Multiple times over the last 2 years i would pull back on the stick to reverse and it felt locked out until I would slowly ease out the clutch and it would drop into reverse.

Anyway I was thinking a master/slave hydraulic issue after the pump method worked but then when it didn't this time I don't think it's that. I've always thought the release bearing was the rattle especially being that it's exactly matching up with the symptoms given in the Ford Mustang repair manual that Ford uses, the 5000 page one. I think it progressed to maybe a warped pressure plate or something causing clutch drag. Haven't tried to test for it in a parking lot anywhere being that I think where I live the police would be up my *** in a heartbeat with the exhaust on that car and it revving up to 7200

So, sorry about the lengthy reply, but anyone have any additional thoughts with the extra symptoms listed? I'm thinking I'm going to replace the clutch and plate and bearings and all that jazz here shortly. Hopefully nothing else is damaged other than that. Are there any step by steps with pics for that or videos floating around out there?
SSGCracker is offline   Reply With Quote