Thread: Faded Bumpers
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2008, 06:36 PM   #10
Bill Hamilton
Mustang owner since 1970

Re: Faded Bumpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemags View Post
you were told wrong...FORD hasnt gone to water based paint. AND the water based paint systems arent "thinner". We are currently making the switch at my shop. I can tell you one thing...the water system makes blends look fantastic...
How does the water system hold up? Like I said, what I have is the worst paint job I've every had on any of my Mustangs going back to 1970. I had several places on the hood chip off the size of dollar bills within three months of purchasing the car new in 2003 and the hood and front fenders were repainted under warranty. The funny part was the Ford dealership didn't have a paint shop so my warranty work paint job was farmed out by them to a Dodge dealership (LOL). Now five years later, that paint job (now out of warranty) has got several dime size chips on the lower hood areas from small rocks. In the past on other cars I've had rock chips but they were miniscule not the size of dimes. I don't know if it's the paint, the preparation, or the material the hood is made of, but I just know it sucks.
My 1970 Mach

2003 Ford Mustang Mach I---Black w/5-speed --- gone but not forgotten
2011 Shelby GT-500 --- Ingot Silver Metallic and 6-speed (Sold and Now Terrorizing the residents of New Zealand)

1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1---White w/351C-4v Shaker Hood scoop and T-5 tranny
2014 Shelby GT-500 --- White/red stripes and 6-speed
2019 Mustang Convertible Premium Package w/automatic