Thread: TOB secrets
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 02:03 AM   #33
StangFever2846
MMM, SHAKER!!!

Re: TOB secrets

Get those TOB's away from the pressure plate with a return spring/freeplay mod. This one thing will drastically increase the life of you TOB. Sure you can just adjust the firewall adjuster until it's just barely touching but my experience is that it can still make noise if there isn't a definite air gap there. Plus who wants a floppy clutch pedal. The return spring in the freeplay mod takes up this slack so it feels like OEM.

For those who already hear crickets, jack up the car, remove the inspection cover and with a long screwdriver start adding a little bit of bearing grease to the TOB. Move the pedal up and down a few times then crank her up and slowly pump the pedal a few more times. Turn it off and repeat the process a couple more times. If you do this before it gets too bad you can extend the life of your TOB, but you need to install the freeplay mod at the same time to get the most benefit. Do not add too much! You don't want grease all over your clutch.

Also FYI, Ford Racing TOB's are now made in China. I bought a Ford OEM one at my local dealership instead. It was still made in the USA and stamped Timken. But that was a couple years back so YMMV.
#108 of 9652

Dyno tuned, C&L 85mm CAI, MRT Catted H, Mac SS Catback, JLT Oil Separator, MGW Short Throw/Orange handle, Rich1's Shaker Air Diverter, Fiore Clutch Quad/FWA, AFS Mach 1 MAC Black Replicas 17X9/10.5, Nitto NT555 G2's in 275/315, Steeda (Sport Springs, Bumpsteer Kit and X2's), Tokico Blues, 2003 Cobra Clutch, Explicit Auto's Aluminum Finish Retro Rings, IUP upgrades, Craig's No Drill LP Bracket, MGW Satin Finish Interior Bling, Web Electric Sequentials

Last edited by StangFever2846; 01-19-2018 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Removed link
StangFever2846 is offline   Reply With Quote