View Single Post
Old 03-23-2005, 03:51 AM   #71
lamach1

Re: Ford Racing Cams Installed - WOW!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachOneThis
Yep - that is right -

All stock classes have rules, but many things can be improved when horsepower only is the desired result. Valve jobs - clearancing on the loose side of spec - sealing the motor up better - degreeing of cams - etc - makes a lot of horsepower. Believe me there is more to be found than F/S has done to date - that is why the bar gets higher every year. In some S/S NHRA classes they say the cams have to stock lift and duration - they did not say you could not regrind with faster opening/closing - that is where S/S cams came in to the scene. S/S also may flow 8 heads/intakes that are stock castings looking for the best - yes - they vary some. Cubic limits are there for a reason, but they have to allow for rebuilds - if 289 is the limit - that is where all the top guys will be. He'll, if I was running F/S - I would lighten all those cam gears and design a tensioner system that used rollers instead of nylon to press against main chains.
The last time I read the rules, they alowed aftermarket shorty headers as long as they bolt into the factory location and after that most any type exhaust was acceptable. Also, as best as I can remember, a high flow air filter was allowed along with some modifications to the intack as long as the stock MAS was used.
My car is making around 330 to the wheels. If I were to remove the LT's and electric water pump, I would probably be around 320 rwhp. Some F/S cars are hitting 370 rwhp now so where is the extra 50 hp comming from?
Some tricks I heard about were 1) There are no rules against interchanging parts on the 4.6 DOHC engines from different years. Our cams are relativly "small" in terms of duration which is why we have improved low end torque. I have heard that putting in stock 98 cams will add as much as 30 h.p. 2) Boring the motor .020 over helps unshroud the valves and certainly helps. 3) the 99 cobra intacks were recalled by ford and hand ported to increase h.p. to the advertised 320 h.p. So, it may not be legal, but if you were to use a 99 intake and do a little extra porting, how would they prove it? They were all hand ported, so no 2 are exactly alike. 4) You are allowed to use aftermarket valves of stock size so quality valves along with a quality valve job certainly adds power. Although I would think more like 10 than 30 h.p.
lamach1 is offline   Reply With Quote