Thread: NASCAR thread
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 04:58 PM   #2135
beerformeplz
Roll Tide !

Re: NASCAR thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylopony View Post
Hate Gordon you may but the facts speak for themselves. He may not be having the best season right now but he is the best Driver in Nascar over the past 10 years and one of the best in history. That is a fact whether you like him or not. And you also say that Sr. would drive circles around Jeff Gordon any day. Well lets look at the facts.

First off I will admit that I was not a big Dale Sr. fan. However, I will not allow dislike or indiffernce toward a driver blind my opinion of them. Just like Kyle Busch. I hate this guy but he could possible be the most talented guy on the track right now and possible can someday rank amoung the greatest with guys like Petty, Earnhardt, Waltrip(not Mikey) and yes Gordon.

Ok, back to the facts.

Dale Sr. won 76 races had 428 top 10's and 22 poles in his career. He also won the cup series 80,86,87,90,91,93, and 94. That is an impressive 7 times.

Jeff Gordon has won 81 races, has 328 top 10's, and 65 poles.(ok you sickies out there LOL) He won the cup in 95,97,98, and 2001. That is also a very impressive 4 times. IN addition if the point system was the same as when Sr. was racing and before this Bullsh** playoff that they have Gordon would have won it an additional 2 years including last year. I will admit he was at his best in the 90's but he is far from washed up especially after last year.

Now let's look at side by side. You say that Sr. would run circles around Gordon any day. Well he did have his chance and he did not. lets look at the years they raced against each other.

93 Gordon 0 wins Earnhardt 6
94 Gordon 2 wins Earnhardt 4
95 Gordon 7 wins Earnhardt 5
96 Gordon 10 Earnhardt 2
97 Gordon 10 Earnhardt 0
98 Gordon 13 Earnhardt 1
99 Gordon 7 Earnhardt 3
00 Gordon 3 Earnhardt 2

Total Gordon 52 Earnhardt 23

Winston cups Gordon 3 Earnhardt 2

That there are the facts. Both are among the greatest in history. One was liked because he was a good ole boy with Nascar roots from the deep south and a good driver. The other while liked by many was also jeered by many because he was not a good ole boy. He preferred Chardonay instead of Budweiser. He wore Dockers instead of Wranglers. He opened the sport to others that are not from the south. And let's not forget that he came in during the reign of Dale Sr. and took many wins and perhaps a few titles away. IF there were no Dale Sr. I don't think most would dislike him today.

Now you have the rest of the story.
I like your sig but Gordon???

I was hoping him and Tony would hook up agian late in the race. "I didnt do nothing to him",lol.