View Single Post
Old 12-17-2015, 04:32 PM   #123
Darrin
Transmission guy

Re: How to change your 5 speed to an automatic

Ok, I don't have the circuitry drawn up, but I know what you have to do.

Find a pressure switch that fits into the direct clutch pressure test port on the transmission as follows. The contacts need to be normally open, close with pressure and open as the pressure drops past a certain point. I unfortunately do not know what that point is.

You need 2 momentary switches for OD and lockup.

You need to design circuits using relays to hold both/either OD and lockup only when the contacts are closed on the the pressure switch and the respective momentary switch button has been pressed. The circuits need to release if either their respective button is pressed again or the pressure switch drops out.

So what you have are 2 independent holding relay circuits that are activated with momentary switches and powered through the pressure switch.

I truthfully just find it easier to buy the kit from Fred. Particularly because I feel that my time is worth more than what it would take me to build my own compared to what he sells them for. And, he has a proven setup that comes with the correct pressure switch for the job.

If you figure out what the right pressure switch is please post it up. That info would be handy for others trying to do the same thing as you.

D