View Single Post
Old 04-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #14
TRbetngu

Re: Rear brakes squeaking-can't find the answer

Hate to keep bringing this tread back, but took it apart and tried to finally figure this thing out. The car is my DD so I have limited work time. Whenever I got the caliper off and the pads out, I found that the brake pads were wearing crooked. Not crooked as in long ways crooked. Crooked as in the outer pad is wearing more towards to hub of the car, and the inner pads is wearing more towards the outside of the rotor. So the pads are wearing parallel like this---\|rotor|\. Strange. Also noticed that the pads themselves had chucks if material missing on the outer edges? Looked around and saw that there is a metal nipple on the outside of the inner pad that hits on the caliper piston kind of weird and and even created a crater in the metal of the piston. Grinded that off, grinded the tiny spot where the caliper bracket was rubbing the rotor (trying the washer thing soon, didn't have any d*** washers that fit). Squeak went away for awhile, but came back after the first hard braking.

Obviously, I need new brake pads. But there has to be a reason for the pads wearing in a slant like that.

Anyways, what would the be the reasoning for the brake pads wearing crooked?

-P1-SC kit
-Magnaflow Catted X w/ Borla Stingers
-MGW Shifter
-H&R SS springs
-18" AFS reps
-Treated better than my wife

Last edited by TRbetngu; 04-17-2017 at 10:09 AM. Reason: fat fingers
TRbetngu is offline   Reply With Quote