View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 10:26 AM   #44
muddman
Mark 9:43

Re: Official Computer Questions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchredmach View Post
Don't bother getting a laptop for gaming if your son is going to also have the desktop at college, getting a laptop that is good for gaming is very expensive. Just get a cheaper one that has Microsoft Word and such. 512mb RAM is sufficient. Any processor over 2GHz (Intel) or 2400+ (AMD) is good enough for simple stuff. For Intel processors I recommend HT Technology (Hyper threading is like having 2 processors kinda, I think they are more stable) and atleast 30-40Gb of hard drive space.

For a desktop computer that will play games, nowadays a 3GHz processor is necessary, along with atleast 80gb of hard drive space and atleast 1024Mb (1Gb) to 2048Mb (2Gb) of DDR 400MHz RAM. Also a good 128Mb video card.

I have a 3GHz w/ 1Gb of RAM and a good 128Mb video card and it will still hardly play some of the new games with anything more than "medium" graphic settings. These specs are what you will want on the laptop if he won't have the desktop at college and wants to play games on the laptop.
there are 3 things you need for a good gaming laptop.Go with amd processor 256 or 512 video card memory and 512 pc3200 ram unless it comes with more.
muddman is offline   Reply With Quote