View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008, 10:25 AM   #32
mach007

Re: Under Drive Pulleys..and the problems they cause.

I'm sorry but i work for a lab that specializes in failure and analysis. In order to state these claims you better have all these steps. (please keep yourself from acting childish. I'm only trying to help in what i believe is correct. you may have your own opinions and i apologize if you feel threatened or offended. That is not my intention)

1.Collection of background data and selection of samples
2.Preliminary Examinatio of a failed part
3.Non-destructive/destructive testing
4.Mechanical testing
5.Macroscopic,Microscopic examination and analysis
6.determination of failure mechanism
7.chemical analysis (if applicable)
8.Analysis of fracture mechanics
9.testing under simulated service conditions
10.analysis of all the evidence, formulate conclusion, and write the report

This is what i do for a living 9hrs a day. May be of some importance may not.

i dontk know if this would help too..i posted it on another thread but read this

Okay, so how does all this scientific mumbo jumbo translate into the real world dynamics of a spinning crankshaft? A crankshaft, like a flywheel, is a heavy rotating object. Whats more, it also has a bunch of piston and rod assemblies reciprocating back and forth along its axis that greatly complicate the problem of keeping everything in balance.

With inline four and six cylinder engines, and flat horizontally opposed fours and sixes (like Porsche and Subaru), all pistons move back and forth in the same plane and are typically phased 180 degrees apart so crankshaft counterweights are not needed to balance the reciprocating components. Balance can be achieved by carefully weighing all the pistons, rods, wrist pins, rings and bearings, then equalizing them to the lightest weight.

On V6, V8, V10 and V12 engines, it is a different story because the pistons are moving in different planes. This requires crankshaft counterweights to offset the reciprocating weight of the pistons, rings, wrist pins and upper half of the connecting rods.

With "internally balanced" engines, the counterweights themselves handle the job of offsetting the reciprocating mass of the pistons and rods. "Externally balanced" engines, on the other hand, have additional counterweights on the flywheel and/or harmonic damper to assist the crankshaft in maintaining balance. Some engines have to be externally balanced because there is not enough clearance inside the crankcase to handle counterweights of sufficient size to balance the engine. This is true of engines with longer strokes and/or large displacements.

When rebuilding an engine that is internally balanced, the flywheel and damper have no effect on engine balance and can be balanced separately. But with externally balanced engines, the flywheel and damper must be mounted on the crank prior to balancing.

Customers should be told what type of engine balance they have (internal or external), and warned about indexing the position of the flywheel if they have to remove it later for resurfacing. Owners of externally balanced engines should also be warned about installing different flywheels or harmonic dampers and how it can upset engine balance.

In other words, If you dont have any balance to any of these (cranks, pistons etc etc) than you're more than likely to experience a failure due to small/large amounts of harmonics that can harm certain FRAGILE parts in the motor. Being that this is internally balanced, the pulley should not have a negative output. However, a matter of testing would have to be performed in order for either you or myself to claim our statements as valid.
mach007 is offline   Reply With Quote