View Single Post
Old 03-17-2021, 02:25 AM   #37
Rusty67

Re: 03 Mach 1 open heart surgery

The drivers side motor mount was an absolute bastard to get off the motor. The bright side is that with it off, I think I've removed the last rusty bolt from the motor. From this point on, I'm hoping not to worry about rusty bolts on the donor motor.

When I looked at the nut that held the ground strap to the motor mount, I was worried. When I put my socket wrench on there, it had about as much structural integrity left as a Ritz cracker and crumbled apart exactly like a cracker would with any force applied to it. Of course it didn't have the common decency to disintegrate completely, it just tore off every bit of usable surface on the nut. I had to cut it off with an angle grinder and then whack the remaining part off of the stud in 2 sections with a cold chisel.

Of course, once the nut was off I tried to get the bolt/stud out and the head of the second bolt on there or stud or whatever it is also rounded right off. In order to get access to it with a grinder, I had to cut a tab off the motor mount (because my grinder is small and didn't have enough reach with the disc) and then cut the motor mount off to get enough clearance to put some vice grips on the stud. Once I actually got vice grips on the stud, it came out with a moderate amount of cursing.
Attached Thumbnails
motor mount post surgery.jpg   motor mount rusted stud.jpg  
Rusty67 is offline   Reply With Quote