View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 04:22 PM   #8
stampde

Angry Re: BBK Dual 65mm Throttle body review

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman941
I ordered a BBK throttle body for the 32V N/A engine from Ebay.
I think I paid like 227 for it from Brothers Performance.
I installed it on a friend's (Josh) 04 Mach, and instantly, the throttle was too stiff, the cruise control acted strangely, etc.
He drove it for a week and we swapped back today.
I put it on my 2000 Cobra powered GT and the same thing happened.
Only worse.
I have the Steeda 3 point strut tower brace, and the OD of the oval TB is a bit larger than the stock TB, so it was a near impossible feat to install the inlet hose. It literally took us hours to install the hose, finally Josh had the idea of putting the TB end of the inlet hose in boiling water to soften the plastic, and it finally did install on my 32V motor.
Right away,the throttle was stiff as all heck, and the throttle stuck closed, making it hesitate, which the engine never did before.
After a thorough road test, I had enough.
I removed the inlet hose, loosened the 2 phillips screws retaining each of the throttle blades to the shaft.
I opened and closed the throttle several times,and the sticking was gone.
Now the idle was too high. (1200 RPM and hanging)
I adjusted the hard stop slightly, and it helped somewhat.
Also, I have the IAC restrictor plate installed,so I began to think maybe I had the hole too large.
I removed and reinstalled the IAC motor with the same plate and the idle returned to normal. (Strange as no real changes were made)
I had to literally BEND the throttle bracket to relieve some of the return spring tension and give the throttle a more liveable feel.
Now for another road test:
Throttle response is much improved in ALL ranges, from a dead stop, and in every at every rpm.
The main thing I am thinking is this.
Yes, a dual 65mm TB WILL improve drivebility, but the quality of this BBK unit is extremely poor.
All of the adjustments I had to make should have been engineered into it from the beginning.
Also, the OD of the oval (where the inlet hose installs) should be EXACTLY the same, and in the same location as stock, which it is not.
Overall, it improved performance in ways I suspected it would, but BBK quality sucks.
Just my 2 cents.
Steve
Yep, purchased same twin 65mm unit, had ALL of the same problems yours did!!!! it did improve throttle response and screamed upstairs, but stuck,idled funny,and was stiff as hell!!!!!!!! called BBK they gave me the run around...... SOLD IT !!! put the stock one back on... I tried all of the same fixes you did ,including sanding the throttle body blades to get the bures off of them, helped, but not much....

Kooks 1 5/8 Long Tubes and off road X-Pipe
Magna Flow cat back
JLT cold air system
Intake spacer
Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
Steeda Tri Ax Shifter
Johnny Lightning Performance Tune/Diablo Sport Chip
FRP 4.10's , Roush T/A Cover
Edelbrock adjustable upper arms
Edelbrock lower control arms
Dyno/ 311.7 horse - 331 torque ( new dyno #'s to come )
1/4 mile best: 12.71 et , 108.79 mph
stampde is offline   Reply With Quote