View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 09:49 PM   #96
65fastback2+2
Too many cars to mod

Re: Official Computer Questions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffav View Post
OK computer Gods, this morning out of the blue my Toshiba notebook gave me a low battery warning (normal) and I connected my AC adapter like always. The screen got a little brighter and the icon on tray indicated the battery was charging (normal). The bad part is the light that is normally amber and turns blue when the battery is fully charged never came on and the screen changed back to its normal brightness level for battery power. I disconnected the power and reconnected, this time no change at all except for a faint humming.

I just lost an AC adapter on my wife's notebook and the replacement took care of the problem. I picked up a replacement this afternoon and no change.

I had the technician check the replacement at the shop before I left so now I have two good AC adapters and a dang computer issue. I went to the Toshiba site and followed their troubleshooting to no avail. Now that the battery died and it did a hibernate I have the following indications. With the battery removed and the adapter connected nothing happens, it should power up. With the battery installed and adapter connected when the power switch is pressed the battery light flashes amber 12 times. It does this every dang time. It does the same with only the battery too.

WTH, is there some dang secret reset for this thing. I don't want to take it to the shop for some BS reset or pee on a spark plug crap.

HELP
I saw you posted and i clicked on this thing "dang, whatd he break now?"

and I was right ha!

Theres nothing magical at all.

What you have is a power cord connection issue. The odd thing is, this is the most common and one of the most expensive repairs (besides the LCD). Plugging in, unplugging, moving the laptop around while plugged in, etc. will all cause strain on the connection. Heres a couple tests:

Plug the adapter into the computer. Does the connection wiggle?

If yes, plug the other end into the wall. Now, push in on the connection on the laptop, push it to the top, bottom, left and right and see if you cant get it to make a connection, even if just for a blip of the charging light.

Assuming this is the problem, this means a laptop motherboard replacement.

Previous Rides:
2003 DSG Lightning, 486/586, 12.09@111.25
2007 F150 Lariat 4wd Screw
2004 OW Mach 1, auto, 1 of 179
2003 DSG Mach 1, 574 rwhp / 528 rwtq
2003 DSG Mach 1, 13.1 @ 109.1
1988 Mustang GT, stock
1967 TB Coupe, project
1965 Fastback 2+2, A-code
65fastback2+2 is offline   Reply With Quote