View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 12:19 PM   #27
E-MACH

Re: "Mach1" Embroidery on Headrests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1Man04 View Post
very cool man thanks i live right near a walmart im gonna go today. oh another question just one coat of primer and 1 coat of clear or 3 as well? and do you sand them down or clea them with say alcohol?
To clean, I used paint prep (enamel reducer), but honestly you could use grease cutting dish detergent and water. The importand thing is DO NOT handle any surface you intend to paint once you clean it off. Fingers leave oil residue. Use 3 coats of primer and wet sand with wet/dry 600 grit paper to smooth. I used 2 or 3 coats of clear to finish-off. The important thing with painting all of the coats is give them time to dry, and NEVER rush a paint job. Prime it all one day, sand and clean later in the day. Paint it and clear it the next day. One hint, ALWAYS paint the tougher surfaces FIRST. Spray all around the rolling edges, next into the deep hand cut indent pocket, then do the flatter, more visible areas last, using long sweeping overlapping strokes. Start each paint run OFF the part and come across to prevent spit-off paint blobs. I used to paint cars and experience dictates that you do the tough, out-of-the-way areas first, and then spray the easy, more visible surfaces last, to eliminate runs and heavy spots. Good luck.