View Single Post
Old 12-22-2004, 01:48 PM   #1
Ricksterman

Exclamation Predator revisions and timing PART DEUX

Ok all for those who have been following the first part, I am continuing with a new thread to make the reading easier, so if you're lost please re-read the first thread.

Revisions - There is a new revision of the software for the Predator (r50c) on the website. It says updated tunes for GT, but this is for all mustangs. I was told by Scott Beer (tuner at Diablosport), that there was a problem with adjusting the fuel table in the previous revisions. I and several others have had the problem with the Diablo tune leaning the A/F out too much, and no way to adjust it! Well turns out it was the software, SO DOWNLOAD THIS VERSION, and maybe give the Diablo tune another try now that you can richen it up. (I had my suspicions that it was the software, but they didn't say anything when I asked, go figure).

Timing - Yes a custom tune from Diablosport can turn off the knock sensors, I finally got the tune from Scott today and it works as he says. I verified it by disconnecting and re-connecting the knock sensors, and sure enough it kept the timing the same in both cases. Now I am running between 29-26 degrees from 2-7K RPM depending on temperature and load. NOW BE CAREFUL ASKING FOR MORE TIMING, I am at 5200 ft and my engine can take more timing before pinging, if you get detonation, I guarantee you'll blow those hypoeutectoid pistons....(Read Sean Hyland's book on modifying modular motors, excellent guide!).

Furthermore I have a 160 thermostat and in the colder weather (35-50 F), my engine never sees above the mid 180's. This is relevant because without the knock retard, the computer still modifies the timing based on temperature. Something to consider if you want to go nuts with the timing. I am putting in a ported intake before I go back to the dyno, and I will post results of what the timing gains me in power at that time. For those of you who don't want to spend the money on a custom tune, simply disconnect the knock sensors (THANKS MACHONETHIS FOR YOUR AWESOME WORK BTW), and play with the factory tune timing, 22+ is pretty consistent from what I have read from others, and still fairly safe with good fuel.

Overall my experience with the Predator has been very good and for those who want a custom tune I would recommend it considering it is fairly inexpensive (120 bucks) compared to most mods. Just make sure you are in contact with the actual tuner, and not anyone else, or you'll go through what I did for the last month (see previous thread). I can highly recommend Scott Beer, he does a lot of work on mustangs so if you can ask for him. He also wanted me to try the new revision to see if there is a difference.

For those of you who want to try it, and don't want to go to the dyno, there is a simple way to check whether your running too lean. With the factory tune (unmodified) do real time data for gas acceleration WOT, selected parameters and make sure to add short term fuel (bank 1 and bank 2), at WOT see what the percentages go to (should be around -15% both banks), then when you install the Diablo tune see what it changes to, then add or take out fuel to get close or the same you were stock. Again this is a crude way and not all that accurate, a wideband A/F monitor is the way to know (DYNO).

Hope this helps everyone and please chime in with your own experiences/comments.

Last edited by Ricksterman; 12-22-2004 at 01:53 PM.
Ricksterman is offline   Reply With Quote