View Single Post
Old 08-18-2023, 10:43 PM   #8
jbrad88
Original Owner

Re: engine cooling fan and associated symptoms

Ironic this post comes up. So I purchased a replacement Ford Fan probably 12 years ago or so when people were reporting that the stock fans were failing or coming apart. Mine has lasted to this day no issues.

However, after the header install last November I had a tune done by VMP. They set the fans at 200 and 210 respectfully. I had been running 190-200 with the old canned tune before the headers.

Anyway, recently when I turned on the AC and the fan and compressor came on I got some idle surging. It would drop, not to the point of stalling, but noticeably lower as the compressor cycled.

Now I have an x4 to monitor the ECT and I have an autometer mechanical gauge plumbed into the coolant crossover tube. The autometer (which I just replaced after 18 years or so) was reading @ 10 degrees higher than the X4 did. Which I figured was due to where it is positioned.

Anyway temps were staying in the 210 range on both devices.

I replaced the fan, and put a new cap on the overflow, and now no idle surge, and the temps stay between 190-200 consistently even with the AC on and our 100 degree days.

I am still (knock on wood) on the stock radiator and t-stat and hoses. I have all the spare parts to overhaul the cooling system except for hoses and a replacement radiator. so far, very happy that the fan and a new cap have effectively cooled the car off at least 10 degrees alone, as well as stopped the surging. I suspect the old fan motor, although still running and not making any noises was on its way out.

Stock fan went almost 120k miles and over 20 years so I cannot complain.
Next step is to look into a replacement radiator when the time comes. I already have a factory water pump and 180 thermostat waiting in the wings.

03 Torch Red Mach 1
21 FJG Mach 1

Stainless Steel Systems Adrenaline Series
BBK long tube headers catted x pipe
18x9 18x10- Solid Gloss Black FR5's
Nitto 555 g2 275/35r18's 285/35r18
MGW Shifter With Mach1 Shift Knob
4.10's & 31 spline Mosers and 31 Spline Posi
Steeda Sport Springs Tokiko Illuminas
J@M weight Jacker LCA's
J@M Rear UCA's
J@M Braided steel brake lines