View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #382
24kmach
My First Mach, Jan. 1969

Re: Custom Intake Carbureted & Nitrous Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Jeff was not happy with the motor on start up, it would blow a big puff of oil smoke. Only when vacuum was high at idle or after shutting down. Which usually means valve stem seals or valve guide clearance. He pulled the Sullivan intake and saw oil on the intake valve heads and in the port.

The heads went back to Fox Lake and they replaced all the valve guides and honed them to proper size for free. Since the heads were pulled, I decided to go with Manley stainless intake valves which have a thicker margin and very little dish compared to the factory intake valve. Which means an increase in CR without affecting exhaust flow. My heads were cc'd at 55cc with Autolite AR94 plugs. New CR is 12.55:1. The exhaust valves are new when Fox Lake installed them a couple yrs ago. The heads are back at CRT Performance as of today.

Jeff wanted to inspect a cylinder to insure the rings seated and check piston skirts, rod bearings and so on. Since Jeff has been breaking in the motor on the rollers. Now was a good time to make sure the rotating assembly is breaking in properly. All checks right on! Ray, owner of Victory Engines who did all the machine work and assembled my short block, was also at the shop checking out the short block.
Sounds like you are with the right folks. I went with the best price one time with my 428 CJ heads when installing Engle triple springs. They destroyed the heads. I learned the hard way.

Based in Kent, Washington, Pacific Cascade Mustang Club is the only original Mustang club in the Puget Sound Area and according to Mustang Club of America, we are the oldest in the nation.
24kmach is offline   Reply With Quote