Thread: Batteries
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2020, 09:54 PM   #3
BONESTOCK

Re: Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 View Post
welcome to the new era - make it all cheap **** so you have to keep replacing it. Ive been through multiple motorcraft batteries under warranties in my 2012 F150, the first couple kept leaking around the positive terminal.

Traditional style batteries are down to 2 companies now and they keep making the lead thinner and thinner. As to why optima went down the toilet I dont know. These days I just buy the cheapest battery with 3 year free replacement because I know I'm going to get either a free or very cheap replacement.

Odyssey is making one hell of a tough battery, its significantly heavier vs comparable size but it's also significantly more $. If downtime isn't directly sucking money out of your wallet it's hard to justify

Back to my original point - I've even read articles about how things like an electric toothbrush are intentionally made with wire a tiny amount thinner than it should be so that every time you charge it the wiring degrades a little more. If it works out right (for the manufacturer), it'll fail just after the warranty and you get to buy a new one.