View Single Post
Old 06-07-2004, 09:47 PM   #34
dmjasmith
GRRBABY, Very GRR!!

Just for the H*ll of it

I did this mod to see the effects.
Before:
No current issues with hanging or increasing RPMs during idle or initial startup, but I do see the hanging RPM's during shifting. Although it was not that big of a deal to me, I wanted to try this anyway.
After:
The small hole size I went for was 1/4". First thing I noticed when I crunk her up was the strong smell of unburned fuel. First trip out it definately brought your RPM's back to level very quickly. During coasts with the clutch still engaged, it does give more braking effect to the engine. And definately gave more gurgle. Throttle felt a bit more responsive during the first few minutes of running. But after a quick ride around the block, I returned and let the car idle for a moment. I gave it a quick pat on the throttle to about 2500 and let off, the rpms stayed at 1100 for 10 to 15 seconds, then took a dive to 300 and slowly came back up to 800. Did this scenario several times with the exact same outcome.

That was enough for me. Maybe I needed to increase the hole diameter to get a smoother idle. I'll stick with the way things were. I had no problem with it, just wanted to tinker a bit.

Good idea for someone with chronic symptoms. But if just want to tinker, not worth the hassle.

PS, got my metal from Lowes, in the rain gutter section. I bought a rain gutter end cap, had just enough metal to do the job, $1.31.

Anyone in Atlanta want an IAC valve restrictor plate?? 10 bucks and its yours.
Born on 16 July 2003
Mods: Are you kiddin?? It was born fast!!
dmjasmith is offline   Reply With Quote