View Single Post
Old 04-13-2015, 01:53 PM   #93
Mach828
Dark Knight

Re: Removing Valve Covers and Installing Cobra Cams - A Complete How To With Pics

Quote:
I'm getting ready to put a set of 01 cobra cams in my 03 mach 1. I have new intake cam bolts, gaskets, 01 cobra cams and I'm wondering if you have any tips.

I'm not sure what the dot to dot thing means because in my head, the tit in the cam gear will line up with the notch on the cams I am putting in correct? Do I need to take the exhaust cam bolt out in order to get the intake cam out or is there enough room to maneuver? Any tips are appreciated, hoping to tackle this in the next few days and I'm sure I'll have a better understanding when I get it opened up.
Answering a few questions I received by PM.

1. Parts list looks good. Just make sure you have some high temp silicone handy. Might want to invest in the timing chain wedge as well, cam holding tool, etc. up to you.

2. Dot to dot just means you are lining up the keyways to put it back exactly were it was before. You just keep tension on the timing chains, to ensure you do not skip a tooth. Use white out to mark in multiple places on the intake and exhaust. You skip a tooth, you will damage your engine. As long as you keep tension on the chain, this is pretty straight forward because the cam can only slide in one way into the cam gear.

3. I would remove the exhaust cam bolt if you can't get enough chain slack, because then you can slide the cam gear on the exhaust cam. Timing chain wedge helps increase slack and makes the process easier. Get one.

4. Use rags to keep things from falling into the timing cover.

5. Take your time, don't rush, be careful. If you take you time and don't force anything it will be a smooth job. If you get frustrated and force things or skip a timing tooth, you will mess something up. Use the right torque specs, and double and triple check them.

Post here and I'll help you along. I'm on here all the time

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Tuned by me with SCT Advantage
Mach828 is offline   Reply With Quote