View Single Post
Old 11-06-2020, 08:41 AM   #1
03mach69mach
Ford Guy

Possible Fuel Pump or Fuel Pump Driver Module Issue

Here's what I have going on- Car is 2003 with 8,500 miles totally stock. The other day, drove car to gas station across town to fill with 100% gasoline 93 fuel. Car was on 1/4 tank gas at time I filled it up. Car drove great although did notice that the idle was slightly rough at times.

After filling car, started and pulled away from the pump. Car was rough and as I pulled into street, car died. Rolled into parking lot and car would just crank with no fire. Could not hear the pump engage and thought that I had lost the fuel pump. Car towed back to my garage. Car had a P1237 Fuel pump primary circuit malfunction code. Doing research here and other places, people pointed to the Fuel Pump Driver Module. Although I did find someone on this forum who experienced almost the same scenario. That person stated that they had removed the battery negative to allow the computer to "clear" and once re-installed the car started and ran. So, I decided to try this. Removed negative battery cable and turned on the light switch for about 10 minutes, then reinstalled the cable. Car started and ran for approximately 5 minutes, roughly but running. After it died, car would only crank.

I then found a Ford service diagnosis diagram for the Fuel Pump Driver Module. I tested the connector based on the instructions and found that the connector was above 10.9 volts (actually like 12 volts) which says that the FPDM needs to be replaced.

I purchased from Rock Auto, a new aftermarket Fuel Pump Driver Module. Installed in the car, car still only cranked, no start. I have not tried "clearing" the computer at this time with this module. Will do that later today.

Any ideas? Could I have a bad aftermarket FPDM? It seems that the pump will cycle and produce pressure. Because it would start, leads me to believe it may not be the pump and instead, something that is controlling the pump. From what I am reading, the pump pressure is determined by the voltage supplied?

Any ideas or anyone with similar experience please chime in.
1988 White LX 5.0 Convertible SOLD
2000 White Taurus SE 3.0 SOLD
2001 BMW 330i SOLD
2002 Harley F150 5.4 Supercharged
2003 Azure Blue Mach 1 4.6 DOHC
2003 Lincoln Town Car 4.6 SOHC
2011 Infiniti G37xS 3.7 DOHC
03mach69mach is offline   Reply With Quote