View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 07:49 PM   #34
graniteguy

Re: Raising the Shaker - Step by Step

After 4 years I finally did this, but did it different. Posting in case it helps someone else. I spent some time finding "where" the noise was coming from.

After removing the shaker there was some bare metal in one area. It became obvious thatt here was some metel/metal contact happening. The drivers side hold down bolt is where it was happeing. The bracket slips into a slot on the shaker. Both pieces were rubbed raw. Raising the shaker will separate those two contact points.

After raising the scoop I started moving it around and looking under the scoop. The scoop was hitting the big bracket in a couple of areas. I thought about it and it reminded me of a suspension that was bottoming out. The solution? Bump stops.

I took a tube of black silicone and placed little beads/droplets on the large bracket where the scoop was bottoming out. I let it dry thoroughly and reinstalled the scoop.I moved it around and absolutely no noise now.

Lifting the scoop cleared the top area, the bump stops cleared the bottom area. It's so nice now.

Last edited by graniteguy; 09-23-2007 at 07:50 PM. Reason: typo
graniteguy is offline   Reply With Quote