View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 09:51 PM   #15
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Re: The bubble will burst!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BumbleBee View Post
To me the GT500 is kind of like the Corvette, the base model is a nice car that will go like hell and if you want to run up the price to stupid levels with options, you can. I don't see why everyone is so hung up on the fully optioned vehicle price. You can run a Raptor up to almost 75k but I don't see people running around talking about it like it only comes in a 75k version.
Trucks are way out of line too! I think what I am trying to convey is that the Mustang is not a blue collar bang for the buck car anymore. When you can add two options and increase a car by 30000, it is not even close to affordable. The only way people are able to buy most new cars is 72 or 84 month loans. And last I read there are 2.5 million cars loans 30 days past due just in the US.[/QUOTE]

I get it to some degree and it's a multi-point problem

1) Government safety and fuel economy requirements keep going up which are expensive to engineer and also responsible for rising curb weights.

2) they put all these options out there because people are willing to pay for them and banks are willing to finance it (even when they shouldn't be

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311-420 View Post
the insanity doesn't stop at cars either. my friend just 'bought' a $1300 cell phone and he has to pay it off for the next 3 years. a cell phone. a f'n cell phone..
It's crazy what they go for but it's like you dont have the option to buy a smartphone for say $300 instead. It ties back into the vehicle options issue - people dont understand "needs" vs "wants" anymore and have no self restraint.

As far as the track pack for the GT500 being so expensive - it's definitely a showoff thing IMHO. At the same time I think it's important for the future as they continue to develop things like CF parts that will eventually lead to them being much more affordable in the future. It's a halo car to show what's possible. A base 5.0 GT with either manual or 10spd is a hell of a performance car for the price.

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote