View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
Stopsign32v

How to: LED gauge install (white like stock, not blue)

I think this site needs more step by step "how to"s. So I made this one.

Use this link http://www.mikefordmustang.com/write...er-mustang.php for the basics. Even though this is for a SN95 and not a Mach 1 everything is the same up until you get your gauge cluster loose from the car.

There are two plugs that you need to press clips in with your finger while you wiggle them loose to get the gauge cluster loose from the car.

Once you get the cluster loose from the car and flip it over to take out the bulbs you will run into a white case around it (see below). Use a star screw driver to get the brass screws out.

At this point you are ready to take out the bulbs. You need to turn the white clips attached to the bulbs counter clockwise. They are small so a pair of needle nose pliers helped me alot.

For me the bulbs were a MAJOR pain in the *** to get out the clips at first using only my hands. I then used a work set of gloves that have rubber on the fingers. Whatever you do make sure you don't squeeze the bulb too much or you could break it. Instead get a good grip with two fingers on the bulb, hold the white clip with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull apart.

Now you are ready to put in your LED bulbs. It should look like this...

Install the LED bulbs back into the gauges but do not install the white case around the back of the gauges yet. I'm going to tell you a short cut...

Go install the gauges back in the car with the white case missing BUT BE CAREFUL not to hurt anything behind the gauges!!! Now plug in only the plug that is closest to the passenger side. This will allow you to see which bulbs are working and which aren't without having to take everything back apart. It should look like this...

Now turn the lights on and you can see which bulbs are working and which aren't. For me at first only the far left and far right ones worked. I had to pull some back out and switch them around and some I had to just play with the LED bulb in the clip and how it was seated. After they all light up you are ready to reinstall.

You will need to unplug them again to reinstall the white case. When you unplug the only plug in you used to light them up, again...BE CAREFUL. The white case keeps the green motherboard from becoming detached from the gauges. So hold it gently so it can't detach and move the plug side to side, not up and down like you normally might.

After this you can use the first link again and just reinstall everything like you took it apart. Then your gauges should have gone from this....

STOCK

to this

NEW

JLT RAI | 1/2 spacer | Catback | 4.56s

7.76@87.8mph

Last edited by Stopsign32v; 06-15-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Stopsign32v is offline   Reply With Quote