View Single Post
Old 09-05-2009, 01:05 AM   #82
tmhutch
4v>3v>2v

Re: Gears - to answer the questions once and for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwg View Post
well i understand that the lower gears help accelaration but do you think the time saved by not shifting as much would make up enough to at least keep the mid 13? seams like shifting at 70-73mph n traping 76 is killing my time.

does this make since to anyone or am i just crazy?
So you want to go through the traps (on an eighth mile track) in second gear?

If you only need 3 more mph (76 as stated above) than the easiest thing to do would be to raise your rev limiter 300 RPM with the 3.55 gear. If you were absolutely determined to drop gears, you wouldnt need to go all the way down to a 3.08, a 3.42 would do it.

The reason I would not go to the expense of dropping a gear is because the 3.55's are marginal for getting the car launched. Even the 3.42 would make it worse, the 3.08 would be rediculous. Not to mention a quarter mile track would just be embarrasing. A modular is not a 5.0.

The majority of the quarter mile improvement from gears is a result of a better launch and 60'. If you went with some 4.56's your holeshot would be killer and you would run through the traps near the top of 3rd gear. You'd wonder why you didnt do it sooner.
tmhutch is offline   Reply With Quote