View Single Post
Old 12-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #124
VA-Mach1
Mach & Cheese

Re: How to change your 5 speed to an automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
Ok, I don't have the circuitry drawn up, but I know what you have to do.

Find a pressure switch that fits into the direct clutch pressure test port on the transmission as follows. The contacts need to be normally open, close with pressure and open as the pressure drops past a certain point. I unfortunately do not know what that point is.

You need 2 momentary switches for OD and lockup.

You need to design circuits using relays to hold both/either OD and lockup only when the contacts are closed on the the pressure switch and the respective momentary switch button has been pressed. The circuits need to release if either their respective button is pressed again or the pressure switch drops out.

So what you have are 2 independent holding relay circuits that are activated with momentary switches and powered through the pressure switch.

I truthfully just find it easier to buy the kit from Fred. Particularly because I feel that my time is worth more than what it would take me to build my own compared to what he sells them for. And, he has a proven setup that comes with the correct pressure switch for the job.

If you figure out what the right pressure switch is please post it up. That info would be handy for others trying to do the same thing as you.

D
Thank you. What you said is also how I understood it from my searching today. What I don't get is how to put that info into a working item. I wish I could find a simple diagram that shows which wire goes where on which relay ect, ect,. I have plenty of mechanical and soldering skill but lack the skill of reading a electronics engineering description/diagram. I did find a pic but its to technical for me to understand.

I enjoy building and modifying. The only thing stopping me from buying the FB kit is the cost of it along with the cost of making the trans full manual is to close to the cost of a Baumann controller. If I can make a FB unit myself with relays, and wires I already have laying around that would change my mind on which way to go.
VA-Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote