View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 08:41 PM   #1
JaredWOT

Big NA 4.6 Build

I am ask because I am in the process of a NA build for my 03 Mach 1. I know it's more expensive in the long run than boost, but I would like to see how much power I can get from the car without boost or increasing displacement.
My build list is p&p 10" short runner (which I already have on hand - made by na svt), 90mm MAF, Accufab 60mm TB, JLT cai, Meziere electric water pump, March Performance alternator pulley, March Performance harmonic balancer/fluid damper, billet oil pump gears, Cloyes adjustable cam gears, forged Manley h-beam rods, forged JE flat top pistons, MHS stage 3 CNC head package, MHS stage 3 cams (or custom cams by na svt), Deatsch Werks 340lph electric fuel pump, Ford Performance 39# fuel injectors, and custom dyno tune. Compression will end up being about 11.1
Car already has full o/r exhaust with LT headers (will upgrade to 1-7/8" kooks eventually)
I am doing a cobra t56 swap as well. Just waiting on the single piece aluminum driveshaft to arrive. McLeod clutch and aluminum flywheel, along with an MGW short throw shifter will complete the tranny build. I know the general recommendation is to just build the tr3650, but I got a great deal on the t56 and can keep the tr3650 on hand if I ever want to put a built m5 back in.
I am well aware of the cost for such an involved NA build, so HP per dollar is not my concern. It is more of a no boost HP per liter project.
The stage 3 CNC head porting included 0.5mm oversize valves, valve springs and retainers, and valve job. The MHS stage 3 cams have 230/228 duration, .480"/.480" lift, 109+3 lobe sep angle, 106/112 center lines.
Car is my DD, but I live only 10 miles away from work. It seems, from research and word of mouth, that it would still be daily driveable with stage 3 cams, given at least a 4.10 gear ratio, which I already have. I am more than willing to try 4.30 or 4.56 gears if need be though. I have been told to steer clear of gears made by anyone other than Ford Performance though, and they do not make 4.30's.
What I could really use is some advice from the experts on what to keep on the build list, or drop. I know a few things may not be needed, but I would rather plan on the possibilities and drop a few insignificant items than underestimate the requirements.
Again, HP per dollar is not the concern. I just need a critique of the build to know where I'm going wrong, and where I'm right.
Some thoughts from na svt, roy, and nazman would be great.
JaredWOT is offline   Reply With Quote