View Single Post
Old 03-08-2019, 07:33 PM   #39
Tony Alonso
Mustang Enthusiast

Re: Ford get it together!

[QUOTE=ShakeMe;1633620]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Alonso View Post

That's the thing Tony, a brand new engine should not be making those noises. Some noises are different than others so which ones are normal. If that is the new normal then they all should tick.
The modular engines have been notorious for a ticking noise of some sort for a long time. What I think some people report as a tick is not the same as what I believe are more potential prominent noises from the spray bore liner or what is thought to be the cause of the rattle I hear in mine.

A video interview with an aftermarket engine builder talked about the potential production tolerances being a possible cause for one of the noises (the piston slap noise). That, of course, goes back to manufacturing capability.

That all said, having some detailed explanations of the sounds and their causes would certainly help those folks most sensitive to it.

My own preference would have been to leave the direct injection and spray bore technologies off the 5.0L V8 to lessen the likelihood of hearing extraneous noises, if those are truly the cause. Those were introduced though to have power and fuel economy benefits. I would take a little less noise and power, but that's just me.
VIN 388409, Built ??/??/????
Delivered 7/12/2019 w/122,696 miles
Tony Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote