View Single Post
Old 04-25-2005, 01:05 AM   #9
SVTSnake
Mach Freak

Re: Header install guide?

Orange Whip, thanks for your opinions, but having headers on my 95 Cobra (shorties at that) and on my 99 Cobra, I would say that they make more than 7 horsepower! I gained 14 HP and 7 FT. LBS. TRQ. with the 95 just with the headers, and close to 17 HP and 13 FT. LBS. TRQ. with the 99! They do work, its just if you have the mods to show it...

If you are only making 7 horsepower with them, then I can say that you started at the wrong with your mods. Also, in my opinion, not every bolt you do to a car is really justified until its been properly tuned afterwards. Installing ANY part that moves the factory O2 sensor position will not warrant a good outcome without a proper tune, headers is one of them!

Now back on topic, I'm sure it'll be a learning experience! Already told the wife not to depend on me for at least Friday/Saturday. Kinda looking forward to it to be honest!

As for the header bolts, I like the Stage 8's, but they are a pain to install! I had them on my 95, and my installer was going to shoot me for making him install them! On my 99, they just used the bolts that came with the headers. I have read that reusing the stock locking nuts and studs is the way to go. My only concern though is how much thicker the Bassani flanges are compared to stock. Guess I'll find out once under there.

The EGR I am thinking the way to do it is like Mike said, disconnect from the intake, attach it the header, then muscle it back on top. Of course I may get out the blow torch and heat it up some if I can't get it back up there (that's how they got my 95's reattached).

1 thing is for sure, as always, will take plenty of pics and post them as usual!

This week, I will go to Sears to pick up a few items.

BTW, is there any difference between our A-arms and the 03-04 Cobra A-arms? I keep seeing the 03 Cobra A-arms advertised with better bushings, tighter turning radius, and low friction ball joints with a revised stamping. Are they that much better than our's?

Woohoo, post #500!!!

2003 Mach 1 - Zinc Yellow
Born 06/12/03, VIN# 436142
5 Speed, IUP
312 HP, 321 FT. LBS. TRQ. (5/10/05)
SVTSnake is offline   Reply With Quote