View Single Post
Old 05-29-2016, 09:00 PM   #123
sutyak
it's soo-tack

Re: sutyak's turbo 2004 Mach 1 build thread

The blind bearing puller was well worth the trip to AutoZone. The pilot bearing came out in two phases. The inner needle bearing sleeve popped out, switched to a larger puller, and pulled out the rest. Ten minutes tops.
Interior is out and ready for me to start the roll bar install tomorrow.
Pulled the steering wheel since I have that 04 Cobra steering wheel, plus it gives me more room to maneuver the roll bar in and out of the car. I thought I could use my 3 arm puller, but no luck. I tried an actual steering wheel puller, but the bushing that goes over the tip was just barely too large. The aluminum threads pulled right out of the steering wheel. A 2 arm puller did the trick. The steering wheel puller would have worked fine if I had used a socket instead of the provided bushing.
I'm not sure what brand of throwout bearing was in the car, but it is junk. I went with National brand from Advance, and for the pilot bearing. It's a great looking piece with a fully machined face. The old one had significant play, and squealed quite a bit.
I also learned the Teksid block in my car has been repaired in a few places. One peace was completely broken off. The top I'm not sure what is up with, and the lower right looks like it may have been cracked. Fingers crossed no actual stress areas have been cracked previously. Surprises at every corner with this car.

2003 DSG Mach 1. 12.65 @ 106 (sold)
sutyak is offline   Reply With Quote