View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #137
vertigyn
Azure Blue Mach

Re: Official Whipple/KB/Eaton HP/TQ/mods thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McClure View Post
You cannot run a Whipple on a stock motor. And if you want to run a Whipple you'll need $15,000 minimum.
If your goal is over 500, better start by building a new block. The stock internals cannot handle much over 500 at the wheels for long.

If you want plug and play, get the KB. If you want POWER - then you'll have to switch over to the Cobra dual belt set-up and get the non-mach KB kit or a whipple set up.

When I went with my KB, I was very happy. I did have challenges, though. My clutch started to slip more (car only had 15k miles on it), the transmission broke, I snapped a half shaft (I have an IRS swap from a Cobra), and I've cracked my differential housing twice. I had to go with an upgraded clutch from ProMotion Powertrain and a newly rebuilt Viper T-56 from ProMotion with an AL driveshaft. You might want to consider an upgraded differential as well - not a must...but a nice.

I say leave the Mach alone otherwise you'll be spending a minimum of $10k to get the kind of numbers you're looking for. If you are happy with mid 400 RWHP, then bolt on the KB...but that'll still cost you about $6.5k or so.

Personally, I wish I had been able to afford a Termi...lol Now the Mach is here to stay just because so much $$$ is in it. Eventually something with factory power will be added to the stable - but I don't want to have another Mach 1 experience like this one personally. I miss the days of reliability and being able to beat the piss out of the car with no worries. Now I beat the piss out of the car, it's a lot of fun, but something breaks every year/few thousand miles.