View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 10:07 PM   #134
mikesly

Question Re: Official Whipple/KB/Eaton HP/TQ/mods thread:

I'm looking for advice here.

I have 16K on my 2003 (black on black) manual, and I really love this car! I'm also in love with the 2011 Shelby, but to get one of those I'd have to trade in the Mach, and I really don't want to do that. Like someone else in this thread said, one of the reasons I love this car so much is the shaker. That just screams cool to me.

I have to believe that 550 in this car will spank those Shelbys every time, for a heck of a lot less money! I'd like to make 600, but that's probably pushing it for a stock motor - what is a reasonable number to shoot for without building the motor? (That will come later when I shoot for 800!)

I'm a firm believer in positive displacement. I installed an intercooled Whipple on my Expedition myself, and that was awesome, I really liked it. I was at a car show yesterday and I saw a Mach with a Vortech that made 631, but those just don't do it for me. I want the low and mid-range torque that you get from a PD blower.

Is the KB is the only option for keeping the shaker??? I saw a reference to modified brackets for the Whipple, but no pics.

So, first question: On a stock motor running pump gas, do I go with a Whipple or a KB or something else??? I want one that is intercooled for sure. What kind of numbers can i expect from each? I've installed a Whipple before, and that wasn't too bad at all. The instructions were pretty decent with lots of pics. How does the KB install go? Are their instructions good?

What about longevity? I've seen quite a few references to 10 and 15K on the KB with no problems. What about the Whipple? (I had 15K on mine before I sold it with no problems, summer and winter driving, so I guess I'm not too worried about Whipple. Although I did talk with Art quite a bit a few years ago about the problems they were having with belts coming off of the Mustangs. I think they re-designed the snout and the problem went away.

Second: What else do I need/do you recommend??? Drive shaft, clutch, gears, fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel rails and injectors, oilpan, larger throttle body and/or MAF, which CAI, or anything else?

Also, what size tires are you guys running? Any specific suspension mods to get the power to the ground?

Sorry for the long post, I know its a lot to ask. I have so many questions and I've found that if you want get the right answers, you have to ask the guys who have gone before you.

So I appreciate your reading this, and I'm looking forward to getting some great advice!!!
mikesly is offline   Reply With Quote