Thread: The Daily Verse
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2016, 09:10 AM   #56
ASH302
Soldier for Christ

Re: The Daily Verse

Verse 12. Psalm 119:11
“I have treasured Your word in my heart so that I may not sin against You.”

My first pastorate was a little stone church in the Tennessee hills. One day in Sunday school, an old woman stood and quoted Psalm 119 from memory, word for word, all 176 verses. This is the longest chapter in the Bible. She had learned it in childhood, and it had enriched her throughout her life.

Psalm 119 is longer than some entire books of the Bible, yet remarkably it was written to be memorized. It’s divided into twenty-two stanzas of eight verses each, following the twenty-two letters of the Hebrew alphabet. To put it simply, every verse in the first stanza begins with the Hebrew equivalent of the English letter A, and so on until we come to the last stanza (vv. 169-176), which ends with the last letter of the Hebrew alphabet. This is served as a built-in memory device to enable Hebrew children to learn the whole passage by heart.

Furthermore, virtually every verse of Psalm 119 has to do with the Word of God.

Psalm 119:11 promises that if we hide God’s Word in our hearts, it will retard the development of sin in our lives. All of us are tempted in different ways, but there are verses in the Bible to equip us to fight whatever temptation we face.

-When lured by addictive tendencies, try memorizing portions of Roman 6.
-When tempted by greed, find help in 1 Timothy 6
-When tempted to be anxious or depressed, Philippians 4 can rescue you.
-When you feel lazy, bored, or lonely, verses in Romans 12 are at your disposal.
-When facing anger and bitterness, memorize verses at the end of Ephesians 4.
-When facing sexual temptation, the first part of Ephesians 5 can be a big help.

When Jesus was tempted by the devil, He quoted memorized Scripture, giving us an example. If we’ll fill our minds with God’s Word, we’ll have the weapons needed to fend off the attacks of the evil one. God has put more than thirty-one thousand verses in this Book to help us withstand the temptation we face in life. It’s like having thirty-one thousand rounds of ammunition; and there’s no excuse for having your arsenal empty.

ASh
2013 RED Dodge Charger R/T Sold Nov 2014
2002 custom Blue 02 Auto Trans AM Sold June 2015
1998 Cobra Black Sold summer 2016

Current
2009 Ford F350 FX4 March 2017 (work truck)
2003 OW 5.0 Mach 1 Aug 2020

ASh
ASH302 is offline   Reply With Quote