View Single Post
Old 04-04-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
HamMach1
A.D.D. FTL

Car died while driving on highway and sputters after a couple hot starts

First occurrence in December:
  • Driving 70 on highway
  • Suddenly lost throttle response so I pulled over as the engine was sputtering and making a sort of "popping" exhaust sound beneath me before it eventually died
  • It would start back up but then immediately fall to a sputter and die again and threw a code
  • By the time the tow truck came about an hour later, the car started back up and idled just fine
  • Towed to dealership anyway and had fuel filter replaced, the fuel system serviced, and the code cleared (something about fuel I don't recall)

Second occurrence in February:
  • Drove 8 miles from work to home and parked the car
  • About 30 minute later I head back out for 5 miles and park the car
  • About 15-20 minutes later I leave store, start it, and as it lowers to normal idle it begins to sputter a bit and acts like it wants to die
  • I turn it off and let it sit for maybe 10 minutes and it starts up and runs fine

Third occurrence in February a couple of days later:
  • Drove to the airport about 20 miles and parked the car
  • About 30-45 minutes later I start the car to leave. The engine lowers to idle speed and proceeds to sputter/pop/sound like it wants to die but doesn't.
  • I turn it off and let it sit for maybe 10-20 minutes and it starts up and runs fine

I took it to the dealership again and of course they couldn't duplicate the issue so I had them replace the pump anyway. Worst case scenario is yay I have a new fuel pump.

It still does this after:
  • Fuel filter replaced
  • Fuel system cleaning
  • Fuel pump replaced
  • MAF sensor cleaned
  • Air filter replaced
  • Spark plugs replaced early last year

Ideas? The Mach has a 120,000 on it for what it's worth. I'm not sure if that sounds like an IAC or something fuel related like injectors or coils. Or maybe I should just throw all three at it.

The bolded is the long story short

Last edited by HamMach1; 04-04-2019 at 02:53 PM.
HamMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote